“Be the change you want to see in the world.”
What a wonderful opportunity Dr. Argie Allen Wilson gave our community of Enlightened Leaders to learn how to have more Courageous Conversations around race, ethnicity, identity, heritage and culture.
Very practical tools as well as a spirited discussion around the challenges inherent in leaning into the conversation that we often want to have, but more often, don’t know how to have.
Here’s a few of her recommendations to help start you on your own journey:
- Take some time to have a Courageous Conversation with yourself first. Ask yourself: Who am I? (Identity); Whose am I? (Attachments); Why am I? (Purpose); Where do I fit in? (Community/ Culture)
- Pick a partner to have the conversation with about DEI & B (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging) in the workplace to practice. Carve out time, have it in a safe space and be ready to learn!
- Use the Principles of Effective Diversity Engagement (see below) including reflect back what is being said, start with where they are and not where you want them to be and be curious, not furious.
- Remember to BREATHE.
- Start with dyads to encourage more honesty and transparency when working with your team.
- Cut yourself and others SLACK when you’re having the conversation.
- Show Up
- Listen, Learn, Lead
- Acknowledge and Amplify
- Be Kind
Dr. Argie Allen-Wilson’s vision is to speak love, light & life into diverse global communities, empowering all people to live life to their fullest potential. She certainly is doing that work in spades!
Curious to learn more? Reach out and we’ll send you the recording!
Tags: Business advice for the mid-market, Enlightened Leaders, Entrepreneurial Excellence, Executive Education for Small Business, Leadership Development in Philadelphia