(Alumna) President of The American Baptist Extension Corporation.
Valoria Cheek, Esq., is excited about The American Baptist Extension Corporation’s (ABEC) mission to help churches through loans made possible by other American Baptists. “ABEC allows churches, church-related organizations and individuals to participate in the ongoing mission of American Baptist churches while earning an attractive rate of return on their investments,” Cheek says.
ABEC loans provide funding for projects, such as acquisition of property, purchase or construction of new church buildings, additions to existing church buildings, and construction of daycare centers, senior centers and camps. Lower rate loans are available for making church buildings more energy efficient or accessible to those with disabilities.
ABEC also offers facilities planning services to churches and related organizations as they examine their needs and develop goals for building projects.
In her role as president, Cheek is committed to supporting individuals, churches and related institutions through continued and expanded ABEC services.
In addition to her work with ABEC, Cheek serves part time as general counsel for American Baptist Home Mission Societies.
- JD, Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pa.
- BA, Duke University, Durham, N.C.
- Managing attorney, Public Finance, Singley & Associates, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Began work as general counsel with the American Baptist Home Mission Societies in 2001.
- Started with The American Baptist Extension Corporation (ABEC) at the end of 1998; elected ABEC president in April 1999.